Moon-phase watches are elegant and timeless timepiece that never goes out of style. These watches offer a glimpse into the astronomical wonder of our moon, and their intricate mechanisms and designs have captivated watch enthusiasts for centuries. Whether you’re looking for a classic luxury watch or an affordable option, there’s a moon-phase watch for every budget and style. In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into the world of moon-phase watches, explore the best options available in 2023, and answer some commonly asked questions about these fascinating timepieces. So sit back, relax, and prepare to be entranced by the marvel of moon-phase watches.
Best Luxury Moonphase Watches
1. BAUME & MERCIER Clifton Moon-Phase
- Vintage-inspired design with elegant and sophisticated aesthetics
- Exceptional accuracy thanks to the Baumatic BM14 automatic caliber with silicon parts and Twinspir technology
- Long five-day power reserve
- The moon-phase aperture and day-of-the-week subdial offer additional functionality and utility
- High-quality materials and craftsmanship from a reputable Swiss brand
- The 42-mm case size may be too large for some individuals
- The watch lacks additional complications that some collectors may prefer
The Baume & Mercier Clifton Moon-Phase is a vintage-inspired dress watch that exudes elegance and sophistication. The watch features a 42-mm round case with a lacquered fumé dial that showcases a moon-phase aperture and a day-of-the-week subdial. The faceted, trapezoid hour markers and sword-shaped hands are quintessential characteristics of the Clifton collection. The watch is powered by the Baumatic BM14 automatic caliber, which boasts a five-day power reserve and exceptional accuracy thanks to its silicon parts and Twinspir technology.
2. Omega Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph
- Remarkable Moon phase indicator and radial calendar display
- Signature Tachymeter bezel and chronograph movement
- Powered by automatic self-winding Omega Co-Axial Master Chronometer 9904 movement
- Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- Matching multi-link bracelet adds to the watch’s luxurious look
- The 44.25mm case may be too large for some individuals
The Omega Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph is a stunning edition of the beloved Speedmaster Moon Watch. It features a Moon phase indicator, radial calendar display, and the signature Tachymeter bezel and chronograph movement. The watch is powered by the automatic self-winding Omega Co-Axial Master Chronometer 9904 movement and housed in a stainless steel case with a blue ceramic tachymeter bezel ring topped with Liquidmetal graduations. The blue sun-brushed dial with rhodium-plated hands and index hour markers adds to the watch’s luxurious look. The watch also has a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal and matching multi-link bracelet.
3. Rolex Cellini 50535 Everose Gold
- Classic and elegant design that is perfect for formal occasions
- High-quality materials, including 18k Everose gold and scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- Blue enameled moon phase disc adds a pop of color and sophistication to the design
- Reliable and accurate automatic movement
- The 39mm case size may be too small for those who prefer larger watches
- The leather strap may require frequent maintenance and replacement over time
The Rolex Cellini 50535 Everose Gold is a stunning dress watch that exudes elegance and class, perfect for special occasions or business meetings. It features a 39mm 18k Everose gold case with a double bezel, a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, and a white index dial with elegant hour markers and long, tapered hands. The standout feature of this watch is the blue enameled moon phase disc at 6 o’clock, which adds a pop of color and sophistication to the overall design. It is presented on a matching brown alligator leather strap with an 18k Everose gold folding crown clasp.
4. GLASHUTTE Original PanoMaticLunar
- Exceptional design and craftsmanship
- Striking green dial with luminous silver-tone hands and index hour markers
- Two sub-dials displaying small seconds and moon phase
- Glashutte Calibre 90-02 automatic movement with 42-hour power reserve
- Brown alligator/crocodile leather strap with a deployment clasp and push-button release
- Water-resistant rating of 50 meters/165 feet
- Leather strap may not be as durable as a metal bracelet
- Limited water resistance makes it unsuitable for water-based activities
The Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar Automatic Green Dial Men’s Watch is an exceptional piece of watchmaking that showcases impeccable design and craftmanship. The stainless steel case, measuring 40mm in diameter, houses a striking green dial with luminous silver-tone hands and index hour markers. The minute markers around the outer rim and the two sub-dials displaying the small second and moon phase, make it easy to read the time and date. The watch is powered by the Glashutte Calibre 90-02 automatic movement, containing 47 jewels, beating at 28,800 vph, and has a power reserve of approximately 42 hours. The brown alligator/crocodile leather strap with a deployment clasp and push-button release makes it easy to wear on any occasion. With a water-resistant rating of 50 meters/165 feet, it can withstand splashes and light rain.
5. BLANCPAIN Villeret Moonphase
- Elegant and timeless design
- High-quality craftsmanship and materials
- Wide variety of complications
- Automatic manufacture Caliber 6654 with 72-hour power reserve
- Limited water resistance (30 meters/100 feet)
The Blancpain Villeret Moonphase watch is a top pick for its elegant design and high-quality craftsmanship. This watch is part of Blancpain’s Villeret series, which encompasses a wide variety of complications, including the Quantième Complet Phases de Lune. The watch features a distinctive dial design, with the day of the week and month displayed in parallel windows, the date on a numbered circular scale indicated by a central pointer hand, and a large aperture at 6 o’clock for the moon-phase display. The 40-mm case is made of high-quality materials and contains the automatic manufacture Caliber 6654, which maintains a power reserve of 72 hours.
Best Affordable Moonphase Watches
6. LONGINES Master Automatic Moonphase
- Stylish and functional design
- Long power reserve of approximately 64 hours
- Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- Water-resistant up to 30 meters
- Combination moon phase and small second sub-dial
- Limited water resistance (30 meters/100 feet)
The Longines Master Automatic Moonphase is a stylish and functional watch that boasts a blue alligator leather strap and stainless steel case. The blue dial is adorned with silver-tone leaf-style hands and index hour markers, with Arabic numeral minute markers at 5-minute intervals. The watch features a moon phase and small second sub-dial, with the date display positioned at the 6 o’clock position. It runs on the Longines caliber L899.2 automatic movement and has a power reserve of approximately 64 hours. The watch is water-resistant up to 30 meters and has a fold-over clasp.
7. RAYMOND WEIL Maestro Moonphase
- Classic and timeless design
- Moon phase display adds a unique and otherworldly element to the watch
- High-quality materials, including a stainless steel case and genuine leather strap
- Demonstrates watchmaking technical mastery and know-how
- Vintage appeal adds to the watch’s charm
The Raymond Weil Maestro Moonphase watch is a classic men’s watch that features a moon phase aperture at six o’clock, providing an otherworldly element to the timepiece. The watch’s stainless steel case and blue genuine leather strap with white stitching make it a striking accessory that can complement any wardrobe. The cool tones of the watch’s design make the blue accents in the moon phase aperture and watch hands stand out against the silver dial. The moon phase display on this watch demonstrates watchmaking technical mastery and know-how. While the moon phase measurement of time may be antiquated, it still represents historical craftsmanship and gives this Maestro model a whimsical vintage appeal.
8. Citizen Calendrier Moonphase
- Eco-Drive technology means the watch is powered by any light source, eliminating the need for battery changes
- Multiple sub-dials displaying day of the week, date, month, and moonphase add functionality and sophistication to the watch
- Water-resistant up to 100 meters, making it suitable for swimming and snorkeling
- Luminous hands make it easy to read in low light conditions
- Classic design with a cobalt blue dial and black leather strap makes it a versatile accessory for any outfit
- The 44mm case size may be too large for some individuals with smaller wrists
- The mineral crystal may not be as scratch-resistant as other materials like sapphire crystal
The Citizen Calendrier Moonphase men’s watch is a sophisticated timepiece that offers both style and functionality. Powered by Eco-Drive technology, this classic watch features analog month/day/date subdials on a striking cobalt blue dial set in a durable 44mm stainless steel case. Other features include a scratch-resistant mineral crystal, water-resistance up to 100m, and a comfortable black leather strap with a push-button deployment clasp. The watch also boasts four multi-function sub-dials displaying the day of the week, date, month, and moonphase.
Understanding Moon Phase Watches
Moon phase watches are a type of timepiece that display the various phases of the moon. These watches typically feature a small aperture on the dial that shows the current phase of the moon. While this type of watch may seem outdated in the modern age of digital timekeeping, moon phase watches have a long and fascinating history in the world of horology.
How to Read a Moon Phase Watch
Reading a moon phase watch is fairly straightforward. The dial will typically feature a small aperture that displays an image of the moon. This image will show the current phase of the moon, from full to new and everything in between. Some watches may also include additional information, such as the age of the moon or the time of the next full moon.
The Different Moon Phases
There are eight different phases of the moon that are typically displayed on a moon phase watch. These phases include new moon, waxing crescent, first quarter, waxing gibbous, full moon, waning gibbous, last quarter, and waning crescent. The length of each phase is determined by the position of the moon in relation to the sun and the earth.
Accuracy of Moon Phase Watches
Moon phase watches are typically accurate to within one day every 2.5 years. This level of accuracy is achieved by using a complex gear system that calculates the moon’s position relative to the sun and earth. While this level of accuracy may not be as precise as a digital timepiece, it is more than sufficient for most users.
Setting a Moon Phase Watch
Setting a moon phase watch can be a bit tricky. To set the watch, you will need to determine the date of the last full moon. From there, you can adjust the watch’s display to show the correct moon phase. It is important to note that some moon phase watches may require a different procedure for setting the watch, so it is important to consult the manufacturer’s instructions before attempting to adjust the display.
Conclusion: Finding the Perfect Moonphase Watch for You
When looking for the perfect moonphase watch, there are a few things to consider. First, think about your personal style and what kind of watch would complement it. There are moonphase watches available in a wide range of styles, from classic and traditional to modern and sporty. Consider the size and shape of the watch, as well as the color and material of the case and strap.
Next, think about the features you want in a moonphase watch. Some models offer additional complications, such as a calendar or chronograph, while others focus solely on the moonphase display. Consider which features would be most useful to you and prioritize accordingly.
It’s also important to consider the brand and quality of the watch. Look for reputable brands with a history of producing high-quality timepieces. Check customer reviews and ratings to get a sense of the watch’s durability and reliability.
Finally, consider your budget. Moonphase watches can range in price from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands of dollars, so it’s important to set a budget before you begin your search. Remember that a high price tag doesn’t always equate to higher quality, so do your research and choose the watch that offers the features and style you want at a price that’s comfortable for you.
By considering your personal style, desired features, brand reputation, and budget, you can find the perfect moonphase watch that will not only tell time accurately but also add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your wardrobe.
What is a moon phase watch?
A moon phase watch is a timepiece that displays the current phase of the moon. It typically features a small aperture on the dial that shows the illuminated portion of the moon as it appears in the sky.
Why would someone want a moon phase watch?
A moon phase watch is a unique and stylish accessory that adds a touch of sophistication to any outfit. It’s also a functional tool for those who need to keep track of the lunar cycle, such as fishermen, hunters, and farmers.
How accurate are moon phase watches?
Moon phase watches are generally accurate to within one day per every two to three years. However, some higher-end models can be calibrated to be even more accurate.
- The Best Orange Dial Watches for Men: Make a Bold Statement
- The 5 Best Watches for EMTs and Firefighters: Durable, Visible Timepieces
- 5 Best Budget Military Watches
- The Top Racing Watches of 2023: A Comprehensive Guide
- Uncovering Walter White’s Watches in Breaking Bad
- Tissot Watches Review: A Comprehensive Guide
- Luxury on a Budget: Best Cheap Luxury Watches
- The Iconic Watches of Ray Donovan